Saturday 17 July 2010

Rosies Fish, chips and mushy peas

Put flour into a bowl, add a tablespoon of baking powder, slowly add beer while whisking to a smooth consistency, deep fry your chips, place frozen peas in a saucepan with water, a table spoon of baking powder and a tablespoon of sugar. boil till they go mushy. When chips are nearly cooked remove from the fryer, put some flour in a shallow dish. pat dry your fish, then put your fish into the flour, remove and shake off the excess flour, dip into the batter, then fry, when they are golden brown remove from the oil, put the chips back into the fryer, place your fish onto your plate with wedges of lemon and the mushy peas, then serve the chips.
Flour

Batter

Don't waste the beer

Peas

serve

2 comments:

iwmpop said...

Hello Rosylee! Yep - it's me!
For a change, on your blog, which I find very well done apart from the mathematical problem about DOB and age....!
At the beginning of my illustrious career in the pro world of the "high hats" and chequered trousers, I had the pleasure of doig what amounted to a World tour in the kitchens.
One of my stops was in Yorkshire (I didn't stay long due to the weather and the beer) where I had the honour of working and learning at an Institution called "Harry Ramsdens". On Bank Holidays, we turned out over 1500 portions of battered fish, mainly haddock, and I was honoured to learn some of the secrets of Harry Ramsden's success.
I'm not allowed to give you the recipe for the batter, but it is, rightly, world famous.
Suffice to say - if you substitute the beer with simple water and yeast, allow your batter to rise, beat it back and allow to rise a second time before use, I guarantee success - a light, crispy, delicious batter. I also use a little saffron for colour and taste, but the cheaper version with the various rice or paella colouring agents does the job as well.
Beer was used in the olden days because beer contained live yeast,which few beers now do. Of course, for you and Keith, the last remaining few drops of beer may be more important than the batter, in which case, I can't help!
Try it - you'll love it, I'm sure. So far as mushy peas are concerned, we used them as a poultice! Lancashire black peas are something else - but that's another story!

iwmpop said...

Forgot - obviously this batter requires a pinch of sugar to enable the yeast to work properly, and salt and pepper are put in later.
The batter, adjusted accordingly, is great for sweet dishes like fruit baignets or fritters.