Thursday 21 April 2011

Visit to the Doctors

I've praised the French Health Service in the past and will do so again now, its not cheap, thats true, Paul pays a lot of cotistations on his wages including health, our top up insurance costs nearly €100 a month but the service you receive is well worth it. When I hear people complaining about the state of the NHS in the UK I often think, "your right, but are you prepared to pay and pay a lot for better". Anyway it seems I've hurt a tendon in my foot, its swollen up and is very uncomfortable, so I pay the Doctor €23 to tell me that, €21 of that will be reimbursed at the end of the month, and leave with my prescription of gel and tablets, "ooh and can I have some Gaveston and some extra Paracetamol please, thank you". In the UK you catch a cold you don't bother the Doctor, theres no cure for the cold, the Doctor will tell you to buy some day/night nurse, its a lot cheaper than a prescription. In France, you catch a cold you visit the Doctor, theres no cure for the cold, but you can have a bag of drugs anyway, maybe no cure but the drugs make you feel better, and your paying anyway so why not get them. Doctor has advised no sports or belly dancing for the next 8 weeks, and Ive assured the doctor I will start my treatment after this holiday weekend as it clearly states on the tablets not to drink alcohol with the tablets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

But don't the pills work better if you mix them with alcohol?

Or, is it the alcohol that works better if you mix it with pills?

Sorry to hear about your bad foot - the medical system here is incredible isn't it but....

Someone has to pay.

I do wish they'd understand that in the UK!

All the best

Keith

Diane said...

I agree the health system here is fantastic. Hope the foot gets well soon. Happy Easter. Diane